I really have to give it to some of these pros. I can never imagine how they came up with the solutions to problems with laptops, computers etc. If you have a HP Pavilion series like me and your quick launch buttons (aka volume slider, wifi etc) ain't working suddenly and you have not uninstalled any programs or changed any settings, you can try this as I did and it solved my problem. As dubious as it sounds, as I had initially assumed it gotta be a software or hardware issues, it really did solve my problem. I was not holding any hopes at first as I was trying out all the other solutions on the Internet, including reinstalling drivers etc and I just refused to believe this would work. In the end, I tried it as my last resort and it actually worked!
And for those who want to disable that stupid volume bar from appearing every time you adjust the volume and causing you to jump out from a full screen game, you just need to follow this and it's done!